On Oct 2, 7:19 pm, Tom <tba...@nmia.com> wrote:

> NOW, I've got one last question for anybody who might have an answer:
> We are in the process of putting all the lady's data back on the
> drive, from a backup that was made onto an external drive when the old
> internal drive began to go flakey. She had been running 10.4 before
> the hard drive failure, and all the OS-X folders that were in the
> system she was using are there on the backup drive. Is it possible for
> us to restore all her e-mail addresses, Safari bookmarks, and other
> such stuff by merely replacing folders on her new system with folders
> dragged over from the old backed-up system? I mean, for example, can I
> trash her new Users folder and then drag the old Users from the backup
> over to the new System, and will the new system then recognize and use
> that old folder with all its information? Ditto with Applications,
> Library, etc? Or will I maybe corrupt the new system by trying to
> splice in pieces of the old one? Is it better (and safer) for her to
> just reconstruct her old information by putting it in manually?

Depending on your method of backing up to the external drive, you may
be able to operate with the user files that are on it to check things
out and gain confidence in the next step.  In any case, I would then
put the new Users folder in a safe place, maybe in the Trash but not
to empty it.  Copy the old Users to the new internal drive, and the OS
should be happy with everything.  Look in the old Users Library
Folder.  There you should find the Mail folder with all e-mail boxes
and addresses, and the Safari .plists with bookmarks.

If you have problems with the mail, then remove the Mail folder that
you copied over from the Users Library, go back to the Mail folder on
the external drive, copy that to the Desktop, and then have Mail
"import" from that copy.

Al Poulin