On Dec 1, 9:23 pm, Broos <bro...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Hi folks, this is my first message to this group.  Probably won't be
> my last since my primary computer is now a B&W G3.  And that has
> something to do with how the problem with my trusty old Beige G3
> desktop came about.  Up until about a week ago it was my primary
> computer.  It had a Radeon 9200 video card, ACARD ATA66 with main IDE
> drive attached, an XLR8 G4 zif at 630 MHz and a USB2.0 card and was
> running 10.4.11 happily.  But then I found a rev.2 B&W at a surplus
> sale and couldn't pass it up for 5 dollars.  It had a 12Gb drive and
> 128Mb RAM so I could fire it up and determine that it ran.  I decided
> to move the goodies over to it from the Beige.
> There are enough spare parts left over that I should still be able to
> build the Beige into a runner with the ATI rage video card and 350MHz
> G3 zif and spare RAM from the B&W.  But, now that I have opened the
> case and removed parts I can not get the Beige to turn on.
>
> When I press the power button the PS fan comes on for about a second
> and then shuts down.  That's it.  I have tried leaving the battery out
> O/N and resetting the MB, I have put the original 266MHz zif back in,
> tried it with all the RAM modules it previously used, and without, and
> tried it with all PCI cards removed.  Same thing.  Did I accidentally
> fry the MB when I removed the cards?  I now see a warning sticker on
> the top of the PS that says you must turn off the computer and wait 5
> minutes before removing cards from the slots.  I think I had actually
> had the computer off for more like a day when I removed the cards, but
> maybe my memory is faulty.  I can't think of anything else I might
> have done to it.  Anyone seen this failure more before?
>
> Broos

The Beige G3, or any PCI buss computer, should have the power cord
disconnected from the PSU before installing/removing any PCI cards. In
your case, your xlr8 G4 module probably did not require the CPU/Buss
speed jumper block to be changed, as the speed is set with software.
Either way, you need to reset the jumper block to the correct settings
for your current CPU. Use the 33MHz PCI buss speed settings unless
your "Grackle" chip has the number "83" in its part number. (Rev. A G3
main logic boards generally had Grackle chips rated for 83MHz, Rev. B
and Rev. C main logic boards generally had Grackle chips rated at
66MHz

"This depends on the Grackle chip on your motherboard. It's
the little one above the ZIF socket. It will have MPC106ARX66CG or
MPC106ARX83CG printed on it (may actually start with an X). The 66 or
83 within that string denotes the maximum rated speed of the chip.
Earlier G3 boards have an 83MHz controller, later ones have a 66MHz
one
as a cost saving measure, and as such are highly unlikely to manage an
83MHz overclock." by <http://www.mail-archive.com/g-
l...@mail.maclaunch.com/msg35374.html>

Here is an excellent guide to Beige G3 MB jumper settings:

<http://www.wmld.com/tech/jumperchart2.html>

You should check the seating of the RAM modules (remove and clean the
edge card connectors with a pencil eraser), check/replace the PRAM
battery, reset the CUDA, then try booting again. If the hard drive
does not spin up, check the output of the PSU with a digital
multimeter. The PSU in the Beige G3 Mini-Tower is underpowered, and if
original, probably dead. Any ATX power supply will suffice as a
replacement, just check the pinouts here for comparison:

<http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/ATX_Motherboard_Power_-_20_Pin_
%28ver._1.x%29>
<http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/
Power_Mac_G3_Mainboard_Power_Supply>

There is a jumper to select between a Mac PSU (e.g., from an earlier
Mac) and a standard PC ATX PSU (as came in the Beige G3 MT):

"However, assuming you are talking about a Beige G3, you can use a
standard ATX PSU; there's a switch on the motherboard right behind the
PCI slots that says "MAC Supply" and "PS/2 Supply". Actually it's not
a switch, but jumper.... which you set depending on which supply
you're using. Obviously the MAC is the Mac PSU that came with the
Desktop model, and the PS/2 is for a standard ATX PSU (which shipped
in the mini-towers)." by <http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?
t=534845>

Format the hard drive you intend to use in the Beige on the B&W.
Install the OS you plan to use in the Beige while the HDD is connected
to the B&W. Observe the proper partition sizes relevant to OS 9/OS X
for the Beige. Move the HDD (make sure it is jumpered correctly as to
Master/Slave) to the Beige and boot from the HDD. If it does not boot
from the HDD, try to boot from an OS CD in the optical drive.

Memory that will work in the Beige is PC66, PC100, and PC133 168-pin
LOW DENSITY (usually 8-chips/side) Non-ECC, Non-registered, Non-
buffered SDRAM. Max size is 256MB, max modules is three. You can mix
and match capacity.

Best approach is to install only the personality card, RAM, PCI video
card, hard drive and optical drive to begin testing. Don't forget to
reset the PRAM initially by holding the [Command] + [Option] + [P] +
[R] keys down through three or four start-up chords from a cold start,
then release. If you don't get a start-up chord after all that,
replace the voltage regulator (socketed on the main logic board,
between the CPU jumper block and the memory slots).