At 2:02 PM -0600 12/2/2009, Ralph Green wrote:
>It sure sounds like a dirty fuser.  On a different model Laserjet, I
>solved a similar problem by cleaning the fuser wire.  Is your fuser wire
>exposed, so you can run a cotton cloth down it?  They are pretty
>fragile, so you want to do that with a light touch.

Dirty fuser seems to be the consensus (incl private replies).  I'm
poking around now for directions on how to get to it.  Should be
interesting; I've never been in a laser printer's guts before.  This
could be fun and/or messy.  (Hopefully I'll have no leftover parts!)

At 8:02 AM -0800 12/3/2009, t...@io.com wrote:
>On Dec 2, 3:13 pm, Lawrence David Eden wrote:
>>If I learned anything from this episode it was that printers are
>>not worth the time and trouble to fix.  In the long run, it would
>>have been far easier and much less expensive to just buy a new
>>printer.
>
>Last year about this time three or four models of Color Laser
>Printer were available from $200 - $300 with free shipping, and
>ethernet and postscript built in.

Trying to avoid buying a new printer right now.  It's already been a
very expensive season - rv repairs, car repairs, cat repairs, giant
price hikes on meds, ...

We also have two other printers on our house network:  A (dying)
Epson inkjet and the Evil Smelly Crayon Pooper (a Xerox Phaser 8400DP
wax printer).  So if I can't fix the LaserJet, there's no big rush to
replace it.  sigh I'm not a big fan of printer shopping.  Cost of a
new fuser vs economy of a newer printer. blech.

>What finally decided me was that the Kyocera was $50 cheaper and has
>AppleTalk protocol support (AppleTalk over Ethernet, not LocalTalk
>media), whereas the Xerox printer only listed TCP/IP.

We do both TCP/IP and AppleTalk.  Just using the AT for older Macs
(non OS X) now.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.