Dan writes,

"Aside -- Please do not invent quoting methods.  Please quote text
normally: use a "> " at the beginning of each line quoted.  Most
email clients will do this automatically for you when you reply.
Manually enclosing whole areas of text in angle-brackets <> does not
make it obviously quoted to the eye.  Nor is it automatically
recognizable as quoted text by the mail client.  And worse- it makes
the Mac think there might be a URL in there, so it spends time trying
to analyze it."

Ummmm-HUH? I've been on LEM lists since 2003 and NOW there's a problem
with how I post? The <quoted comments in here> method is how I saw it
done on mailing lists (LEM and ones I'd been on in the mid and late
1990s) originally. I didn't invent it, I learned it from being on email
lists. My emailer, Thunderbird, brings up a blank body with no quoting
at all when I hit reply, so I paste in the text I'm replying to. I
recall it being the same for my prior emailer, ClarisEmailer, as well.
(I do this for ALL email, not just list email). Yes I've noticed the
"changes" in how other posters post over time and I usually find it
confusing, so I kept with what I originally learned so at least I can
understand my own posts! LOL But, OK, if the "<quoted text all goes in
here>" method actually confuses the Mac to think there's an URL, I'll
just use quotation marks and not the brackets. (Or maybe I'll just
paraphrase who I'm quoting so I don't have to worry about any kind of
quotations!) See, now you're driving me to invent!

Anyhow, back to Mac stuff, you said I could find out if my QS drive had
spun down if there was less noise from the box, and that I should "open
the drive to hear it spin up." The answers to that are:

1. The QS has always been a nice quiet machine -- I almost never hear it
at all. The only noisy component of my collection here is the external
HD, which is on all the time so I can make immediate backups whenever I
have to, and that thing is loud enough to make eveything else seem
absolutely dead silent.

2. Respectfully, no, I can't open up the QS's drive. Remember I can't do
anything mechanical, and even if I could, I'd hesitate about doing it
with the QS powered on, which, for the drive to spin up or down, it
would have to be. Right? Or maybe I'm just totally not getting this. And
even so, if the machine is on, the HDs are good (I know they are) and
the network is set up properly, if the drive did spin down/go to sleep
while I wasn't using it, it would awaken/spin back up next time I
accessed it, wouldn't it?

Thanks for the instruction on Finder Preferences, Sidebar pane to get
the QS to show the Network in the sidebar. It works great. :-)

Mounting aliases of HDs from networked Macs seems to be pointless,
though. I had the QS's HD Nucleolus mounted on the Mini and I made an
alias of it. It worked, as in I could get in and at all the files by
clicking on the alias, but it kept popping up the original "real" icon
for the HD -- so why bother with the alias? And while I was able to fix
the QS's Network settings since killing that bug (thank you for the
lock-clicking in Security tip), The QS's other HD will still not remount
on the Mini at all (it's greyed out when I go to select it), and the
Mini will only occasionally and temporarily mount on the QS. (it
"disconnects"!)

Oh well, even though there are still these couple of minor issues,
having the Mini up and running, and the network/KVM system AT ALL, is so
vastly better than the way it was before, so perhaps I should just shut
up and learn to live with the minor issues!

Thanks,

~Yersinia.