On Jan 17, 2010, at 7:21 AM, Arnel Tuazon wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I have a 2.3GHZ dual core G5 running Leopard (latest) and 5.5 GB of RAM.
> I've been having trouble with MS Office 2008 (w/latest update) especially in
> Word when working with a document containing graphics.  My situation last
> night:
>
> I was working in MS Word on a document containing 2 images.  My font sizes
> were from 12 to 28 (Candara and Snell Rounded).  The document was about
> 1.1MB in size.  I also had another doc opened that I was using for
> information.
> I had Safari opened as I was searching for images.
> I had Entourage opened as the other Word doc was sent to me via e-mail.
> I had Fireworks opened as I was editing the graphics used in the doc.
>
> I noticed that Word was getting slower than usual.  With the two docs opened
> I couldn't seem to switch between the two docs; I could only see the one on
> top (I could still switch between apps).  I tried to preview the main doc I
> was working on and I kept getting an error message saying that I was out of
> memory...I have 5.5 GB! Then Word would crash (luckily I saved the docs).
> With 5.5GB of RAM I thought that would be enough to handle all the apps I
> had opened.
>
> 2008 seems to be more buggy than 2004.  I also noticed that in 2008 when I
> am choosing an art motif for my borders the list of art borders scrolls at a
> turtle's pace.
>
> Anyone know what's going on or how to speed up MS Office?  5.5GB should be
> enough right?  BTW I did a full run of Apple Jack just in case, to clear out
> my caches and tune up the G5.

In can feel the snarking comming, But I say your problem is Leopard on a PPC I
have a PM G5 2.7 Dual 6GB and a lot of stuff has problems on the 10.5.8
partition espeacialy when images are involved. I would fire up in Tiger and see
if the trouble still exists, unless you have an app that requires Leopard I
find it's just not for PPc machines. But that's just me:-) Tiger rules on PPC.

John Carmonne
Yorba Linda USA