On Jan 25, 8:05 pm, Kasey Smith <kasm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2010, at 5:49 PM, Jonas Lopez wrote:

> > Nice discussion but not the issue - what I am trying to do is like
> > upgrading a G4 to a G5 or some other change in the Mboard that is
> > questionable and so I do need to manually find the cookies and
> > bookmarks and preserve them, then completley wipe the hd removing
> > the exhisting partitions that were on it. I can not archive and
> > install upgrade or downgrade - so where are these files and what is
> > the likely names of them. Thanks.
> > JML
>
> In that case, use Migration Assistant (in /Application/Utilities) You
> can copy all your files and settings over to the new Mac over
> firewire this way. \o/

I still do not see what Jonas wants to achieve with clarity.
Upgrading the hardware or OS or both?  Whatever, he could consider
making a bootable clone of his entire working hard drive with Carbon
Copy Cloner to an external drive.  Make whatever hardware changes he
wants to the Mac.  Boot the "new" Mac from the clone to test things
out.  If happy, erase the Mac's internal drive and clone back to it
from the external.  Then upgrade the OS with an Archive and Install if
moving up to Leopard from Tiger or to Tiger from Panther.  If moving
up to Snow Leopard, then do the "Upgrade," not Erase.

Al Poulin