At 11:12 AM -0700 3/27/2010, John Carmonne wrote:
On Mar 27, 2010, at 10:58 AM, Dan wrote:
 > At 7:32 AM -0700 3/27/2010, John Carmonne wrote:
I'm trying to transfer DVD images fro a 1TB drive to a new 2TB drive the size of the transfer is about 560 GB i've only been able to move about 235 GB and a lot of the other files choke with a finder error, I'm sure the files are OK because they play??

 Finder chokes on complicated tasks.  Use CCC or ditto instead.

Check your system and console logs - could be that Finder is choking because of some sort of hard error on the drive.

I really wish I knew what to look for in the Console and System logs. Can you give me a hint?

Error messages citing the HD during the time you were doing the copy. Could be any of a bazillion things, depending on the type of failure.

When you start having these types of problems... Launch Console and view the system log. Hide it. When the problem occurs, bring Console forward and take a look at what's new in the window. Use the Clear and Mark buttons freely -- they put time stamps into the window, so you can tell what's new more easily. Everything in Console is read-only - so you're not going to damage any logs etc.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.