I hate to be "that guy", but might I ask why we're being asked to cling to a
1970's server technology in the 2010s?  HTML and Rich Text emails have pretty
well been the "standard" since at least the late 90s.  Even "freebie" email
programs such as Yahoo and Hotmail have been HTML based for years.  Is there
some sort of reason that HTML and Rich Text are suddenly taboo?  Seems to me
that Mail.app defaults to Rich Text, which I have to say, has been working just
fine for me (and everyone else in my family, company, friend circles, et al...)
for years.