At 9:34 AM +0100 7/19/2010, pdimage wrote:
On 19/7/10 03:39, "James Therrault" <jetas...@netzero.com> wrote:
 > You don't appear to be using plain text, (at least in my reader).

Hmmmmmm - I am experiencing this anomaly recently too.

What you observed, in this particular case, was kindof a "cascade failure". Kevin Barth's reply in the thread was in rich text. Kyle replied to that, quoting Kevin, so his email client used the same format. Then James replied to that, and stripped some of the HTML.

A quick giveaway to tell if a message is plain or rich... Look at the quoting. If the quoting is RFC standard, displayed with | or > characters against the left margin, the message is probably plain text. If the quoting is indented as if tabbed - it was probably done as rich text (and when you strip the html tags, you lose all the quoting levels).

The body of the mails I receive is set in my Entourage preferences to display in fixed width 10 point Monaco - used to be 9 point but now I'm over 60 and so are my eyes. The vast majority of the mail I get from the lists displays in this format but there are exceptions which appear to be html type format....like this one...
[snip]
This did not appear in my client as fixed width nor was it 10 point Monaco - it was double width and in a Helvetica type sans serif font. Whilst this one from the same source sent shortly after....

The font setting you put in your mail client is simply a default -- applied if the email message itself doesn't override it. It is overridden by the font tags in the rich/html email. You should be able to see this if you view the message in its raw form; in particular, look for the "font" and "style" tags. In some mail clients you can then bump the size, IF the html in the email doesn't include hard-coded specific sizes.

... My default is Lucinda 14, btw.

HTH,
- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.