On 19/7/10 13:54, "Dan" <dantear...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What you observed, in this particular case, was kindof a "cascade
> failure".  Kevin Barth's reply in the thread was in rich text.  Kyle
> replied to that, quoting Kevin, so his email client used the same
> format.  Then James replied to that, and stripped some of the HTML.

    I thought about that when I originally received the mails and indeed
tried it out in Entourage by hitting reply to those allegedly rich text
mails - but my Entourage strips all the rich text from the quote by default
leaving quotes as above with the > leader - so I presumed Kyle's Entourage
(mentioned in his headers) would do the same....

> The font setting you put in your mail client is simply a default --
> applied if the email message itself doesn't override it.  It is
> overridden by the font tags in the rich/html email.  You should be
> able to see this if you view the message in its raw form; in
> particular, look for the "font" and "style" tags.  In some mail
> clients you can then bump the size, IF the html in the email doesn't
> include hard-coded specific sizes.
>
> ... My default is Lucinda 14, btw.
>
> HTH,
> - Dan.

    I can't find anything in Entourage which will allow me to see the raw
form and hence the formatting and that simply leaves me not knowing what it
is - plain text - html text - or rich text - that's if some clients have
rich text as a third option.
    I hope you mean Lucida 14 - Lucinda 14 sounds like straying into Jerry
Lee Lewis territory. I may try Lucida - Monaco is not the prettiest by any
means...

> AFAIC, anything Microsoft is a minus.  I used the reader in Nutscrape
> or SeaMonkey for a number of years but switched to Mail about a year
> ago.

    I have no particular bias against any tech companies - software is good
or bad. Entourage is quite good - Excel is exactly what it says - excellent.
What does AFAIC stand for? I know the one with the k at the end.....

Pete