> First question, which would be the better 780p or 1080p. I think this
> has to do with visual lines per inch. I assume the higher "p" the better
> but really don't know.

Basically correct.  The "p" means the monitor is a progressive scan device
rather than an interlaced one.  There's a good article on wikipedia if you
want to read up on the differences, but in general progressive is better.
The number indicates the number of scan lines the monitor supports, and will
affect the resolution you can display on it.  If you plan to use a
resolution higher than 1280×720, you will need a monitor capable of 1080i or
1080p.  Otherwise, 720p will be fine for your needs.

> The monitors of interest is Hannspree 225DPB available at the local Staples
> office supply that I could not find the "p" rating. The advantage is I can
> pick
> this one up tomorrow and no lost time.

First off, Hannspree is a common, if low-end, brand of hd televisions and
video monitors.  They aren't unique to Staples.  Second, the 225DPB is
capable of higher resolution than 1280x720 (the ad on Staples' site says it
can do 1920x1080) which means it is either a 1080i or a 1080p.  Probably the
former, as they would be trumpeting it up in their ads if it were 1080p.
Which doesn't make it a bad deal, necessarily.  The difference between 1080i
and 1080p is likely to be insignificant at that size of monitor, unless you
are watching Blu-Ray discs on it.  And even then I'm not sure you would
notice a difference.

The other finalist is a ViewSonic 2260wm from ComputerGeeks. This has the
> 1080p
> spec and I know as a long time commercial printer and as a much less
> qualified
>  graphics artist that ViewSonic has a good track record, I still use one of
> their old CRT's for personal use that I got from FreeCycle. I have never
> heard
> of Hannspree and assume it is some Staples' house brand.

I like Viewsonic.  I have a 22" viewsonic CRT that I'm still using, more
than 10 years after it's  date of manufacture.  It has never shown a single
problem, has beautiful images, and I use it for television viewing as well
as hooking up several CPUs.  I also have a Hanspree 17" LCD HD display that
I use primarily when composing on my electronic keyboard.  It's OK.  Nothing
special, no problems either.  It gets the job done, and was cheap. but I
don't know that I would necessarily recommend it for commercial work.