> >  Recently the rolling started an hour or two after the monitor warmed up
> > and
>was
> > stable. This made for a difficult if not impossible to be useful in  a work
> > environment  -- soooo time for a new monitor.
> >
> > The new monitor is definitely sharper than aged Dell -- but if a cheap
>repair is
> > possible I would be willing to give it a try.  I could  find a very
>productive
> > use for the old Dell. Thanks for the info  --glen

> LCD monitors are inherently digital devices. If something is rolling  like
> that
>on an LCD, I would suspect bad capacitors as being a possible cause.  The
>rolling effect could be caused from the refresh. If the rolling gets worse  or
>better when you adjust your refresh, that could be as cheap as a buck in
>parts
>to fix, depending on how many caps are dying it could be more, but they  are
>cheap. We had one that exhibited that symptom. Don't know if that is the
>problem with yours but if you feel comfortable opening up the back and looking
>
>at the boards it will be easy to tell usually. However a cap can look perfect
>and still be bad.
>
> As for the old tvs, im 32. I remember the older tvs.  Bought one from a
> thrift
>store that did that, had to repair it, horizontal video  board had a bad
>component on it. =)

Generally, I have no problem taking anything apart including the Dell.

Should I assume the same danger applies to LCD's as CRT monitors regarding
electric shock from the charge stored in the capacitors? If so, any safe way to
discharge them? Probably won't try a fix anytime soon, too many more pressing
tasks to do.

FYI, I'm 63 and in reference to old TV's, I remember as a child of maybe 10
years, when the TV (a relatively new technology at that time) would go in the
fritz and start rolling, usually while watching a favorite show, my dad would
frantically go to the back of the TV to "adjust the horizontal hold" -- his
words.

Apparently the really old TV's had some sort of knob on the backside you could
turn with a screw driver to the fix the problem. On the rare occasion when Dad
failed to fix it, he would call the TV repairman. They made next day house
calls
in those days;, ahh the 1950's ;0 --glen