On Aug 13, 2010, at 5:40 AM, James Therrault wrote:

I'm not sure what graphics you might be referring to, (I'm not a gamer), but I can play DVD's full screen etc without any problems.

I imagine your scrolling within large, extended windows is very slow. With graphics acceleration you can go instantly from top to bottom of any large window, or move up & down a frame at a time rather than line- by-line or waiting for the window to redraw itself. If you happen to have lots of open windows with lots of open tabs within each window, things will grind to a halt on your unaccelerated 16MB Rage card IF you're using Tiger 10.4+ that support QE & CI.

Regarding upgrading this machine which has been my faithful companion since January of 2001, nope... Lookin' for a late Intel Mac Mini with Superdrive, maxed out memory and a 7,200 rpm drive which hopefully will carry me for another five years...

Good idea, an Intel Mini is probably the best deal for minimally expensive Mac unless you can get by with an iPad. Minis are great, I own a G4 Mini, but their weakest attribute in my opinion is the amount of VRAM, which isn't upgradeable. Still, a Mini is the best value in Macs with the possible exception of the iPad. Recently Geeks.com had refurbished 1.33GHz G4 iBooks for $269 with free shipping($30 off with code "Apple"), which is a good deal, and may still be available? If I were you I'll look hard at the iPad. Five years is a long time, and I'd bet an iPad holds it's value MUCH better than a Mini over the next 5 years, and probably would be more useful to you also?