On Aug 13, 2010, at 6:24 PM, Kris Tilford wrote:

On Aug 13, 2010, at 5:40 AM, James Therrault wrote:

I'm not sure what graphics you might be referring to, (I'm not a gamer), but I can play DVD's full screen etc without any problems.

I imagine your scrolling within large, extended windows is very slow. With graphics acceleration you can go instantly from top to bottom of any large window, or move up & down a frame at a time rather than line-by-line or waiting for the window to redraw itself. If you happen to have lots of open windows with lots of open tabs within each window, things will grind to a halt on your unaccelerated 16MB Rage card IF you're using Tiger 10.4+ that support QE & CI.

That's just it... I don't have a lot of apps open and rarely have more than three tabs open in SeaMonkey. Also, I was exclusively OS 9 until the end of 2006 when I forced myself to upgrade to OS X, which was panther at that time. I also had a G3 466 clamshell running Panther. Both would run DVD movies without problems.

Later, I upgraded the Gigabit to 10.4, (now 10.4.11), and noticed a slowdown in performance but there was no going back because of security issues etc. I'm comfortable with the way it performs but upgrading RAM, (currently 768MB), probably would boost performance. But at this point, I'm hesitant to put any more money into this machine. Needless to say, the original slow 20GB hd was replaced by a 120GB about three years ago. I've also added a 160GB which I now remember as being formatted on a friend's G5. It was in a firewire enclosure at the time.

Now, the clamshell was replaced a couple of years ago with a PowerBook G4 1.25GHz with 80GB 7,200 rpm hd, 2GB ram and that thing really whizzes pretty good. It is on Cricket 3G broadband while the Gigabit is still on dial up. I do like all the bells 'n whistles on the PowerBook though.

Regarding upgrading this machine which has been my faithful companion since January of 2001, nope... Lookin' for a late Intel Mac Mini with Superdrive, maxed out memory and a 7,200 rpm drive which hopefully will carry me for another five years...

Good idea, an Intel Mini is probably the best deal for minimally expensive Mac unless you can get by with an iPad. Minis are great, I own a G4 Mini, but their weakest attribute in my opinion is the amount of VRAM, which isn't upgradeable. Still, a Mini is the best value in Macs with the possible exception of the iPad. Recently Geeks.com had refurbished 1.33GHz G4 iBooks for $269 with free shipping($30 off with code "Apple"), which is a good deal, and may still be available? If I were you I'll look hard at the iPad. Five years is a long time, and I'd bet an iPad holds it's value MUCH better than a Mini over the next 5 years, and probably would be more useful to you also?

I think that the PowerBook will serve my mobile needs for a few more years. I bought it on eBay and it was a pristine loaded machine with three batteries. I'm not the type that jumps on the latest thing and am pretty traditional in habit(s). I'm not sure what a tiny 9" screen could do for me. OTOH, a mini should drive my 22" or even a 24" monitor OK given my reduced graphics needs. I do like a lot of real estate in front of me...

JT