On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Brian Christmas <b...@tpg.com.au> wrote:

> On 21/10/2010, at 7:51 PM, Wallace Adrian D'Alessio wrote:
>

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Fluxstringer <fluxstrin...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Lion ?

> It looks like my one word post and simple title question have hit some
> nerves.
>
> Money talks and BS does not want to pay to play ( or cannot afford to ) I
> would step up and buy the stuff if I could afford it Steve. But you who
> introduced home computers at an affordable price have lost sight of those of
> us with modest or even less than modest means.
>
> And your media hype rant against Android still seems way out of character
> for a phone hacker who now evidently does not think consumers should buy
> phones they can hack themselves to their own need. Are we going back to the
> " you can have it in any color as long as it is what we want to sell " days?
> ( more on that in the LEMlist group)
>
> But yes the world needs great computers like the Mac still. But wringing
> the pockets of users ?  How long can that be sustained in a bad economy ?
> Boutique brand for elitists. Or affordable tools for everyone. What will it
> be Steve ?
>
> Perhaps some control is needed to make everything work correctly. But it is
> looking like Apple profit is the motive rather than quality for the user
> when every aspect of the market has to be micromanaged.
>
> And how long will the new stuff be good for. I'm still saving for the G5 I
> could not afford 5 years ago. And those with G5s are crying because their
> machines are sitting on shelves next to 7200s albeit with much more hopeful
> price tags.
>
> Can the low end consumer ( who needs a reliable machine that is not
> maddening more than anyone ) ever get a break from Apple ? 'That $ 500 mid
> tower anywhere near release date ?
>
> I think it's time to ditch the G machines and support Steve by buying
> iPads. It's the closest thing many here will ever get or afford  of the
> current Apple experience.
> I sm going to hurry to do this because in six months the new OS for that
> will come out. And a year from then the version after that won't run on the
> my year old iPad.
>
> That planned obsolescence idea is really ramping up faster these days. It
> must be good for business.
>

> G'day Adrian
>
> Unfortunately obsolescence is a fact of life in the electronics industry,
> even tho it's not planned.

Well here we go again. I did not really want or need to justify my opinion.
But what the hell! right mate ?  Yeah everything dies, ot for the glass half
full types everything has a life cycle. But industry and capitalism is not
satisfied with letting you Mac die at a ripe old age. They will cut off life
support in the form of OS  changes to make sure you buy LONG before you need
to. Of course people of affluence needn't worry it's a write off. The rest
of us like those who need to keep their old Macs running? Well, how many in
this thread are ready to pitch their Gs out the door? In this thread someone
even says they have a G5 and cannot see a streaming video !  Aren't you
tired of having companies pushing you for more money and selling you stuff
that they will make sure you will be dissatisfied with when the next OS
comes out?  That computer dies an unnatural early "death". Not just planned
obsolescence but forced obsolescence.

> It's basically bought about by the inquiring minds of talented people that
> love to invent new things; in our case, it's advances in processors, memory,
> communication (in it's many varied forms), programming, storage, and perhaps
> information control (if we let it). With these advances, the older hardware
> just can't cut the mustard, and the gaps seem to be constantly shrinking.

Well that's just dandy ! I still have not forgiven the PC vested overlapped
board of directors of Commodore for the early demise of the Amiga. It all
went downhill after that ! How's that for a grudge!? If you have a Mac that
is no longer able to do what you need and it is less than 4 years old why
would you be on low end Mac? Yeah, computer systems evolve. Wait until next
year when the just announced " predictive logic " systems hit the market.
Everything sold today is already obsolete! Get it ! If you buy a just
announced Mac tomorrow you are buying something that is 1000 times ( repeat;
1000 ) slower than what is coming next year. ( look it up for yourself).
Can't we just have a Mac that a person can buy and keep it running no matter
how slow. Just quit "breaking it" by no longer supporting the OS it runs on.
Especially when it is not that frickin' old !

> My heart bleeds for those of us who can't, for one reason or another, keep
> up with the immediate advances, but I constantly remind myself that I'm glad
> the world of computers did not freeze up with the advent of my old Apple
> IIe. I'm lucky enough that I own an intel 24" iMac, but I'm ashamed to say I
> lustfully look at the new i7 27" iMacs, mainly cause some graphics I'm
> trying to write for an iPad app are too slow rendering on my core 2 duo. I'm
> lucky; I earn a small amount programming for Macs, that as a retiree keeps
> my family in iMacs. If I had to justify my requirements to my other halfs
> requirements only, I'd still own my old 1.8 G5, running 10.3, and my kids
> would own Windblown PC's (shudder). Pity the PC users still stuck with XP,
> or the graphics heavy version of it, Windows 7.

We are not all so fortunate as you are my friend. Your words make me feel so
much better whatever " bleeds for " means. That is a sincere expression of
identity and sympathy for the lower class G machine owners right ?

> As for the cost, I paid less, in actual Aussie dollars, far less in real
> terms, for my iMac than I did for a IIc with an extra floppy drive, and a
> 256 MB hard drive.

Oh that makes me feel so much better too.

> Despite all this, I still love  to see the strides being made; it proves to
> me that human ingenuity is alive and well, and I await with bated breath the
> next  advances in all fields of endeavour that will take humanity to
> wherever the road takes us.

Then you will be elated when the " predictive logic" machines come out soon.

> Regards
>
> Santa
>
>   *And what, you ask, was the beginning of it all?*
> *And it is this......*
> *Existence that multiplied itself*
> *For sheer delight of being*
> *And plunged with numberless trillions of forms*
> *So that it might*
> *find*
> *itself*
> *innumerably*
> *
> *
> *Sri Aurobindo*
> *
> *
> **

I like this one;

But,  mighty armed, the one intuitive into the nature of the Gunas and karma
knows that Gunas as senses merely abide with Gunas as objects, and does not
become entangled.

Gita [3, 27-28 ]

Adrian D'Alessio aka; Fluxstringer

fluxstrin...@gmail.com