If we lose the optical disk what will we have for archiving? Financial data
coming from the bank is rapidly moving to computer files. What about those
pictures we take to help in filing a fire insurance claim? Your last decade of
income tax filings.

Home-written CD-ROMs are not the best but they seem to be pretty good for half
a decade and perhaps longer if protected from the environment.

Pressed optical disks are very much better but not suitable for the likes of
personal financial records because of initial expense.

Floppies are terrible. So is magnetic tape.

Flash, which is stored charge on MOSFET gates, will never be archival.

Resistors that exhibit two crystal states have interesting possibilities but
are quite a way off.

Off-site storage as encrypted files on a trusted server with associated charges
is available but costly and subject to government interference.

Printed paper in a safe deposit box seems to be the best except for icons
chiseled into granite.

Punched paper rolls of piano music are the highest fidelity source of old music.

What are Apple Entertainment, Inc. and the Lion King (Disney, Pixar) doing to
help?
--

-->  Halloween  == Oct 31 == Dec 25 == Christmas  <--