flyback transformers are dangerous as hell.

a layman can learn to repair apple computers easily, as far as replacing
parts.
as long as you know what to replace.

CRT monitor components are an exception.

this repair has more in common with TV repair, and involves handling
possible
high voltage discharges (tens of thousands) that can still get you after the
unit has been powered down and unplugged  for months ( capacitors hold a
charge ).

a TV tech can handle it safely. if you don't know what you're doing you can
be hurt bad.
i assume people have rarely been killed.

the CRT related parts of an apple computer are typically not manufacturer
rated for untrained techs to work on..

when it's an all-in-one,( including 9" monochrome screen units, the G3 iMac,
the beige AIO, the 5xxx types and the eMac) the flyback transformer is often
the issue, and unsafe to handle without some knowledge.

in my opinion this is a fool's errand because of the safety  issues. screw
around with
PCI cards.... or drives. they will get broken or fried, but the owner won't
be harmed.

if you know how to do it there is a procedure for draining power stored in
the caps.
not a safe procedure for a tinkerer making guesses.