________________________________
From: Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
To: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
Sent: Friday, 17 December, 2010 0:23:57
Subject: Re: The Attack of the Giant Pixels

On Dec 16, 2010, at 5:07 PM, Tom wrote:

> Then I took off the 23" Cinema Display and hooked up a 15" one, but
> the result was the same: square clumps of pixels all over the monitor--
> they seem to show up wherever you click the mouse--and I noticed that
> they have various colors on them, and some of them even have tiny bits
> of text on them. I believe they are actually little-bitty windows of
> some sort. I've had Macs since 1986, but I've never seen anything like
> this.

I have, with a failing video card or a corrupted driver.

If it does this in safe mode, and you've checked both Software update and ATI
for updated drivers and firmware, yeah, it's time to look for a new card. As
you've found, you need to make sure you get a card for the correct one.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

I had exactly the same symptoms with a 9800 in my G4. Returned to ATI for an
exchange as it was still under warranty. They accepted that it had died
prematurely.

Ted