Has anyone successfully (or unsuccessfully) used a RealTek 8169 based
gigabit ethernet card in a Beige G3 under OSX?

I banged my head against this thing for several hours last night and
could not get it to work.  When I boot the machine in OS 9.x the card
works fine.   So, at least I know the hardware is all functional.

The RealTek drivers seem to install okay, but when I reboot the
machine, the only ethernet available in the "Network" System
Preferences panel is still just the "Built-in Ethernet".   The card
never appears.   I tried RealTek's 10.2, 10.3 and Tiger drivers to no
avail.

I'm running 10.2.8 on the Beige G3.  It has a 500MHz G3 upgrade and
256MB RAM.

I haven't tried moving the card to a different slot.  Currently, an
Acard 6280M is in A1, the RTL8169 is in B1, and a USB card is in slot
C1.

I did get a message on reboot about the driver possibly being unsafe
or unsecure and was offered the choices of "fix and use" or "use".
First I tried "fix and use".  When that didn't work, I reinstalled and
tried "use".   Neither one worked.

I'd appreciate any suggestions of stories about experiences with the
same hardware.

Jeff Walther