On Jun 1, 3:26 pm, "t...@io.com" <t...@io.com> wrote:
> On Jun 1, 12:41 pm, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 1, 2011, at 10:06 AM, t...@io.com wrote:

> > Start the Console App, and click on the 'More Logs' button.
>
> > This should let you see the system log which *should* include all the boot
> > messages.
>
> > There *might* be a boot log in /private/var/logs (one of the possible
> > collections of logs
> > in the 'More Logs' section. I cannot remember if this was present in 10.2
> > or not.
>
> > Both can be searched for the '8169' string.
>
> > Alternatively you can hold down command-V whilst booting to get the verbose
> > start up
> > and watch carefully for things mentioning the card.

> Thank you, Bruce.  I will investigate these avenues this evening and
> report back.  Perhaps I'll also try a different PCI slot and pull the
> USB card (far fetched, but unlikely to hurt).

Okay, I tried pulling the USB card and also tried moving the 8169 to
slot c1 with no joy.   I opened the console and clicked on the log
button, but there was no mention of the 8169 in there.  I also found a
list of logs (or events?) in System Profiler, but none of those was
relevant either.  I may have missed the "more logs" button, but I
think I would have clicked on it if it was there.  I forgot about
checking /private/var/logs.  Also forgot to boot up in verbose mode.
Should have done that.  Sigh.

But I didn't want to put hours and hours into it again.   I have
firmly reminded myself that this exercise is to speed the transfer of
data off of the machine, not to become an expert at installing 8169
cards.

So, it occurred to me....

The 8169 works great in OS9.  The files are all available and visible
in OS9.   I'll just boot into OS9 and transfer the files off of the
machine, over my network, and to the Mini, while the Beige is booted
into OS9.   :-)  QED.

OS9 might be slower than OSX at network activity (is it?) but the Mini
only has a 10/100 port anyway.  So with the Beige slinging data at
gigabit, and throttling down to 100 at the switch on its way to the
mini, I imagine the Beige in OS9 will give me as good of performance
as the other bottlenecks can take.

Then I can store or dispose of the giant Beige and the tiny little
Mini will become the household iTunes server.  Yea.

Perhaps some day I'll revisit this issue out of curiosity.   Darn it.
The 8169 ought to work, and it bugs me that it doesn't....

Thank you, Bruce.

Jeff