On 6/24/11 11:00 AM, t...@io.com wrote:

On Jun 24, 4:31 am, Barney Guzzo<guz...@gmail.com>  wrote:
I bought the Pioneer  from Macsales (something like $30) when the
drive in my G4 933 QS would not write DVD's anymore.
The Pioneer drives have become a little challenging to find.  The
latest Pioneer PATA drive was the DVR-118L.   The last time I checked
OWC was out of stock.   Amazon just recently started stocking it
again.  They were out for most of a year.   You can get it directly
from Pioneer here:
<http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Professional/Computer-Drives/
DVR-118L>
but even Pioneer didn't have any for several months and only recently
showed them for sale again.   I think they may have done an extra
manufacturing run of them or something.

Oh wow, this looks great (I think) and it's actually in my price range. My G4 Quicksilver 867 is running Tiger 10.4.11 and according to stuff I've seen in this thread, it can use "any" internal IDE/PATA optical drive? Excellent! Thanks!
I found what I thought was a pretty good on them when everyone else
seemed to be out here:
<http://store.overstock-king.com/product_info.php?products_id=234>
but I ordered three of them back at the beginning of May, and got
emailed an invoice, but they've never shipped anything, my order
status just shows "pending" and they don't respond to emails.  My card
has never been charged either, which is good.  Apparently, they're not
actually interested in selling anything.

So, the Pioneer drive costs about $15 more than the Samsung or LG
drive that are available at Newegg, but it is available again.

Jeff Walther