On Jul 4, 2011, at 11:02 PM, Tom wrote:

Can anyone enlighten me on what's going on here?

I believe the 2nd Mac that says "Another Mac is already running this program" is telling you that it's trying to launch the same copy of the program, meaning the copy resident upon the 1st Mac. You need to delete the Dock icon from the 2nd Mac and add it again by dragging and dropping the actual application resident upon the 2nd Mac, now it should launch while the 1st Mac is also running its own resident copy.

The reason this is happening is you must have file sharing enabled in the System Preferences>Sharing>File Sharing. You probably want to have this enabled to transfer things between Macs. I think you just got a wrong alias icon somehow and it's launching the copy on the other Mac.