On Oct 17, 2011, at 10:00 AM, Don Wakefield wrote:

I am currently running Leopard on my eMac,

Leopard is about 15-20% slower on PPC Macs than Tiger according to benchmark tests like xBench or GeekBench (you can check either archive of test results to see actual numbers).

and I have been told to run hardware checkup from the original startup disk.

Good idea.

I have been experiencing a variety of nagging irritations with regard to video playback of Youtube files recently. Thinking it was Flash, I switched to HTML5 but the recent stuttering still persists. Cable company claims to be giving me a higher speed than my Broadband Reports tests show and that may indeed be the problem, but you can't fight city hall! Their techs say their test is correct, I am receiving over 8 meg down and since that should be able to take anything Youtube could send they point the finger at my graphics card and that is where the hardware test comes in.

Your eMac may be too slow with Leopard, and booting from an external Firewire HD will be slightly slower than an internal HD, but not a lot. If you have time, transferring the HD or reverting back to using the internal HD might help a tiny bit.

When I inserted my original Panther disk, restarted, and depressed the option key, eventually what looked like a boot loader appeared. It showed me several locations of bootable files on various drives. --- I have an old Tiger on the internal 80Gig, the current Leopard on an external 250Gig firewire, and now Panther and hardware checkup icons from the cd in my drive bay. They show up in a line on an otherwise basically grey blank screen.

This is normal behavior.

At this point I can find no way to indicate which of these devices I wish to select. I have tried the arrow keys, clicking the mouse which has turned into a clock face rather than the usual arrow, pushed the tab key, and I have also tried including the option key and most other keys and nothing seems to allow a selection. The big indicating arrow under you selection never appears.

Sounds like a bad keyboard perhaps? Another possibility is corrupted PRAM or NVRAM. Zap the PRAM by holding the Cmd-Opt-P-R keys at startup for several "chimes" and then you should reset the NVRAM by booting holding the Cmd-Opt-O-F keys, and then at the Open Firmware prompt, type:
set-defaults<Return>
reset-all<Return>
where <Return> means hit the Return key. It should respond "ok" to the 1st command, and restart at the 2nd command.

Is the fact that the mouse arrow is a clock face telling me the system is locked in a loop and not ready to offer me a selection choice? I have had it grind with the watch for over 10 minutes without ever returning to the arrow. (I can't believe it should take that long to settle down.)

Again, reset the NVRAM and see if that helps. If not, try another keyboard.