On Oct 18, 2011, at 2:47 AM, QuoVadis wrote:

I'm not sure how the 1.42GHz eMac would handle this, but IIRC it also
has the 9200 onboard, with 32MB of RAM I believe. The 9200 (although
it supports CoreImage) is just not fast enough to handle YouTube
properly.

Correct. My 1.42 GHz Mini, which I've overclocked to 1.58 GHz is too slow to handle YouTube properly. I also have a 700 MHz eMac which does about as well as the 1.58 GHz Mini.

My belief is that the bottleneck is indeed to video card in both of these. They both have only 32 MB VRAM. I have several old 7500 & Beige G3 that are upgraded with 450 MHz G4 CPUs and 64 MB Radeon 8500 PCI cards, and these slower & older Macs do just about as well with YouTube, perhaps even better sometimes, so the CPU speed isn't the problem. Having a faster video card with twice the VRAM helps a lot, but unfortunately there's no way to upgrade the video card on either the Mini or the eMac, so they're permanently hobbled.

Here's one sad observation. Windows PCs that are really slow seem to handle YouTube and other streaming video much better than Macs running OS X. I've had 700 MHz P3 PCs with only 8 MB Radeon cards handle YouTube BETTER than my Mini which theoretically is about 4x faster all around. It seems this is something specific to the operating system or more likely the video drivers being optimized, because Ubuntu Linux is also slower on the PC.

You should be able to boot an Ubuntu Linux PPC "Live" CD on an eMac just to see how it handles YouTube within Firefox. I don't think it would be any better than OS X. I think you're stuck needing a newer Mac with better video capabilities, which generally means an Intel Mac, although PPC G5s and G4s with better video cards should do fine with YouTube.