OK I removed the OS 9 disk. I booted up into 9.2.1.
From there, I slected HD bootup.(Had to read up on
OS 9 to do it. I can boot up on either OS X or OS 9
System preferences. Great!
 Next step. Get into Classic.  Dang!
What I have now is dual boot,I guess. But,not classic.
I`m not thatexperienced in MAC,but I quickly follow advice. (PC and MAC desk tops.
                                         Gene H
----- Original Message ----- From: "Clark Martin" <cm...@sonic.net>
To: <g3-5-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 5:39 PM
Subject: Re: Cannot boot OS X

On Feb 8, 2012, at 1:38 PM, Gene Henley wrote:

I have a Quicksilver G4 with Tiger. I installed OS 9.2.1. I can boot into OS 9.2.1 if I hold the C key down. But if I try to boot into my OSX,The screen says "The system software on the startup disk only functions on the original media,not if copied to another drive. Could I have somwhow messed up my OSX preferences? If I did,How do I get back to OS X to find out?

That message is one you get if you copy the OS 9 system folder from an installer disk onto the hard disk and attempt to boot that OS from the hard disk. Holding down the C key boots from the CD-ROM, not the HD.

What it sounds like is that:

   You still have the installer disk in the optical drive.

You copied the System Folder from the installer disk rather than ran the installer.

By some means the Startup Disk was set to the copied OS 9 system folder on the HD.

Try booting with the option key held down. This should give you a screen showing every bootable system available to the computer from any attached drive.

I would use the Option key and boot into OS X. Then delete the OS9 System Folder on the HD then boot from the installer disk and install OS 9. Also open System Preferences, select Startup Disk and select your OS X System folder.

--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs. The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml

-----
No virus found in this message.