At 11:48 PM -0700 3/18/2012, John Carmonne wrote:
Upon closer inspection with TinkerTool I found a 16GB file called "sleepimage". and erased it. So I checked some more drives and some have it and some don't.

Macs support two Sleep Modes.

Normal sleep powers down everything except RAM. Keeping the memory "refreshed" uses battery power.

Safe Sleep (hibernate) snaps your memory's contents to the HD then powers down everything. This makes waking take a bit longer, but it means you can hibernate for a long long time without running out of battery power.

Safe Sleep is supported by most Macs since Sept 2003. I think all the laptops come with Safe Sleep enabled *by default*.

The basic settings are in the Energy Saver system prefs. There are quite a few apps that have the settings also.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.