On May 3, 2012, at 6:43 AM, Len Gerstel wrote:

> I am looking for the error log that might give a hard reason for this (can't
> find server, too many connections-connection denied, whatever) to pass on to
> the hosting company, since I am probably the most tech literate customer.
>
> The only Mail logs I can find are in /var/log/mail.log (and mail.log.0.gz
> through mail.log.4.gz). None of these have any entries for today, and the
> issue is going on right now.

Caveat, I've never been saddled with a POP mail account, so I'm not sure

Look in the system log, the /var/log/mail.log logfiles are for local SMTP use,
ie: your machine acting as a mail server. All userspace apps, and most system
programs and daemons log to the system log; the only things logging to any
other log in the /var/log hierarchy are system-level programs that explicitly
create their own logs, like apache and cups.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona