> > > http://www.everymac.com/upgrade_cards/sonnettech/crescendo_g4_pci/crescendo_pci_g4_800.html
> >
> > Yes, I forgot about this card. It's drawback is the 4-to-1 backside
> > bus ratio. A 400 MHz card with a 2-to-1 backside bus runs nearly as
> > fast because of this limitation.
>
> Now *you're* the one who's going to have to provide numbers. :P While I
> definitely agree the 800MHz card is hobbled because of the bus ratio, I
> would strongly contest it being *half* as fast.

And here's two sets of benchmarks to prove it. First,

http://forums.macworld.com/index.php?/topic/14339-crescendo-pci-g4-800mhz-benchmarks/

This is a user comparison to a 450MHz XLR8 card in a PowerTower Pro.
Second,

http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Framework.cfm?page=/Benchmarks/sonnet800/page2.html

The 7300 with the G4/800 (the setup I'm using) is clearly faster --
sometimes almost double -- than the 7300 with a G4/450. Now, in fairness,
tests that are bus-bound clearly suffer compared to "real" G4s depending on
the test, but that's not the comparison we're making here. Interestingly, in
raw processor performance in Macbench, the 7300 beat the Luxo iMac G4/800.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckai...@floodgap.com
-- All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegcaps awound? ---------------------------------