> The new iPhone 5 can no longer be used with a PPC mac, since the
> minimum OS is 10.6.8.  I obviously have two options.
>
> Either I can submit to Apple's blackmail and buy an intel Mac that I
> don't need in order to use the new phone. Or, I can consider an
> Android phone. Frankly, I am very reluctant to do the first, since my
> dual core G5 is very fast and nothing I do will be appreciably
> improved by spending $1000+ on a new Mac. Furthermore, the new Mac
> would require me to spend $2500 to upgrade the software -- I need to
> use a high end CAD program which has a very expensive upgrade.
>
> The other alternative is buying an Android phone. I liked the iPhone
> hardware, but have some misgivings about the OS (no file system,
> Apple's control freakery, etc). While the iPad is clearly best in
> class, I am not that sure about the iPhone.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion?

I switched to Android when Apple stopped supporting 10.4 with iOS. If you
stick to Nexus devices, you get a solid phone with at least 2 major Android
versions and prompt updates. The only downside of my Galaxy Nexus is that
it only connects with MTP (the PTP support in OS X doesn't work right with
it for transferring images), but I believe there is an MTP for 10.5.8 PPC from
Google (I'm writing my own MTP sync system with libmtp for the command line,
which is something I *can't* do with an iPhone).

Strictly speaking, it doesn't even need to do that; it "just works." I don't
see why I should jettison my perfectly good quad G5 just to stay on the
Apple iOS treadmill. And, with Android, I don't have to.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckai...@floodgap.com
-- /etc/motd: /earth is 98% full. please delete anyone you can. ---------------