On Jan 24, 2014, at 16:42 , smac0031 wrote:

I have made some progress on the DA G4. I replaced the battery and zapped the pram which made no difference. I disconnected all usb devices except the keyboard and a Logitech trackball and tried shutting down which also made no difference.

Parenthetical:
Until your shutdown problem is solved, you'll want to use the following method each time, since a 'cold' shutdown (power-button or plug-pulling) will eventually cause more trouble...
then open the Terminal app and type:     sudo shutdown -h now
(then type return, then your password when asked)
That should always work, unless something is really wrong.

I tried creating a new user, but that doesn't come up when it boots up.
I presume therefore that you have the 'automatic login' option on, and you need to turn that off for now. Boot, go to the Accounts preference pane in the system preferences, click on the "Login Options" button at the bottom of the list of users, then turn that setting off.
Shutdown, then boot.
You should be presented with list of users, or name and password boxes. Don't bother with that, just click on the shutdown button in the lower left-hand corner.
If that shuts down, then report back here.

If you still can't shut down...,
Try disconnecting everything, including the USB Card, USB Hub, scanner (s), network drives, - except the boot drive, the monitor, and the mouse
        then boot - then shut down (from the Apple menu).
If that works then the problem is with one of the peripherals.
( and yes I did purposefully omit the keyboard -- sometimes even a keyboard can cause trouble ). If that does not work, repeat, but without the mouse/trackball and with the keyboard connected instead.

If that still doesn't work, then:
repeat minimal setup above - booting,
then shutdown (Terminal method noted above).
restart, go to the Console app, select the "system.log", scroll back to the Copyright notice (which will look something like: "Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993"), then select and copy the 30 or so lines previous to (above) that and paste them into a reply here on the list.
That way we can maybe get a better clue.

Manoah F. Adams
mhfad...@gmail.com

This message is signed with a certificate and-or PGP key.
Disregard any unverified messages from this address.