If it were me, I'd take a different hard drive, wipe it, and install a system
from the original system disks.  Then reboot from the new setup.  If it still
has issues, it has to be hardware.
If it works OK from that bare bones system, then update/add software till the
problem shows up again.  If you go one step at a time, you will know what was
done last, therefore what caused the problem to start.  Yeah, it takes time to
step through to do this.

If you knew what was done to the system just before this started, that might
give you a better starting point.  Then it would be worth undoing the last
change to see if that fixes things.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On Jan 29, 2014, at 6:19 PM, Valter Prahlad <valter.prah...@fastwebnet.it>
wrote:

> Il giorno 29/01/14 21.37, "smac0031" ha scritto:
>
>> I tried safe boot and reinstalling 10.4.11 ppc combo update. It didn't make
>> any difference.
> This makes me think it's more likely is a hardware issue, not software.
> Reinstalling the update should have fixed most software issues, at least
> regarding OSX itself.
>
> But the issue could be from a different (non Apple) software as well, maybe
> some driver or kext ("extension") from weird apps.
> In System Preferences, in the lower row (Tools or Accessories), what do you
> have?
>
>> I also noticed it won't restart either. It hangs at the
>> desktop picture and won't go any farther.
> This makes sense: to restart, it needs to shutdown the system first.
>

> --
> --
>
> ---
> "G-Group" group.