Feature Requests item #1372911, was opened at 2005-12-04 11:41
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1372911&group_id=235

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Direct connect works for me, however, there is an
aspect of it that is faulty.

A little background: I am on a  local network, which is
up all the time. However, connections to the outside
world are cut off at a certain time every night, and
are not opened until the next morning.

People using AOLs client have a simple way around this:
direct connecting before this connection is cut, and
then since it is only a connection between one local
computer to another, all is well.

With GAIM, this does not work, as once it can not
connect to the Oscar Servers, it (in versions prior to
2.0.0/cvs) greys out all the buttons, so messages can
not be sent anymore. In version 2.0.0, the buttons are
no longer existent, but the enter button does nothing,
no message is sent.

So essentially the fix would be this: for AIM messages
that are direct connected, keep them active regardless
of the status of the oscar servers. While this may seem
useless for most people, it seems ridiculous not to
have, as the entire point of direct connecting is to
not need oscar servers, and this essentially ties them
together.

If someone who is more familiar with the code base can
point in the right direction, I might be able to fix
some of it myself, but I am busy with school, so I dont
have enough time to probably figure it out entirely by
myself.

The main thing that I believe would need to be changed
is
A) tie usernames to IPs when direct connected; it
usually works for a few minutes after the internet cuts
(because gaim doesnt realize oscar is not reachable)
but it doesnt connect the IPs with usernames; people
who are using AOLs client can send me messages, but its
from "?" or nothing at all, and then it stops working
and I cant send messages back. This seems not too
complicated to be implemented.
B) set some other status for Direct connected people,
maybe have it act like a different protocol, I dont
know exactly how it would be simplest to acomplish, but
make it so what is done to normal AIM messages is not
done, allow the messages to continue to be sent.

I will be happy to help out/test anything that is done
for this, and would very much appreciate it if this was
fixed/implemented.

thanks,
Daniel

Comment By: Luke Schierer (lschiere)