Feature Requests item #731277, was opened at 2003-05-02 06:58
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=731277&group_id=235

Category: yahoo

Initial Comment:
Since the makers of the official Yahoo! client for linux refuse to take the
time to implement linux support for Yahoo's Voice chat and WebCam chat, I think
Gaim should step up and do it.  Gaim is great for basic 'boring' IMs, but
rather than focus on prettying up the user interface (as the new Gtk 2 port
does) and making sure all 'emoticons' are accounted for, why not focus on
implementing REAL communication features.  How about some VOICE chat and WEBCAM
support for the Yahoo protocol?  What was V4L created for if the only project
that makes any real 'internet' use of V4L is GnomeMeeting?  It's a shame that
all that work was put into creating V4L and yet nobody really uses it for any
real internet applications  (No offense to GnomeMeeting, but 'netmeeting' is no
longer cutting-edge video conferencing, Yahoo! is.)  Gaim is great, but I still
find myself having to dual-boot back onto Windows in order to use the 'real'
Yahoo features like voice chat and web cam chat.  I would l
 ike to END my reliance on Windows completely, so please implement these
features, so I can stop having to tell my friends "um, sorry, I can't do
voice chat...I'm on linux."  Right now, the only thing I can really use
Gaim for on Yahoo! is telling my friends "give me a few minutes while I
boot up Windows, then I can use my  mic and cam.", and that REALLY sucks.
 Also, what about support for yahoo chat rooms (like the GYach project) but
maybe with the voice chat support.  Yahoo chat rooms are only good with the
voice chat.