-----Original Message-----
From: INSTRAW [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 7:52 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: FW: [gender-aids] Request for articles: Treatment Access and
Gender

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2002 3:44 AM
To: Gender-AIDS
Subject: [gender-aids] Request for articles: Treatment Access and Gender

How does gender impact on access to treatment?
Hella von Unger, Germany
************************

Hi everyone,

A friend asked me to write an article for the newspaper of the national
body of leftist student organizations (FZS) in Germany - a good
opportunity to introduce access to treatment issues and the MNC campaign
to student politics in Germany, I think. The issue will have a feminist
focus, so I thought I might write a piece on access to treatment viewed
through a gender lens. Does anyone know of any articles that address the
issue of how access/no access to treatment affects men and women
differently in high prevalence countries?

I'm aware of a huge body of research on the greater vulnerability of women
to HIV (in terms of transmission and prevention), but the only studies on
gender and health disparities in the context of HIV/AIDS treatment and
care that I have seen were conducted in industrialized countries. Yet I
wonder whether the same thing (women being treated as second class
citizens and patients) is happening in other countries, too? I am thinking
of MTCT programs in some African countries, for example, where there is
nevirapine to protect foetuses from becoming infected, but there are
hardly any treatment options for mothers with HIV/AIDS. Or take our MNC
campaign - we're asking for treatment at the workplace - who is being
employed? I bet more men than women. (Which is why we're asking for
treatment for employees AND their families and sex partners, no?!) I guess
my point is that there is always a danger of reinforcing existing social
inequalities, be it inequalities along the lines of gender, employment,
race, you name it.

If anyone wants to share thoughts on how gender (in combination with race,
class etc) impacts on access to treatment in high prevalence countries -
please let me know! Suggestions for useful literature would also be most
appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Hella

Hella von Unger
(212) 316 2659
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

*---*
A posting from GENDER-AIDS ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

To submit a posting, send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For anonymous postings, add the word "anon" to the subject line
To join, send a blank message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To leave send a blank email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You are currently subscribed to gender-aids as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Archives before 23 December 2001: www.hivnet.ch:8000/gender-aids
Archives after 23 December 2001:
archives.healthdev.net/gender-aids

The forum is moderated by the Health & Development
Networks (HDN) Moderation Team - http://www.hdnet.org -
 on behalf of the Fondation du Present (FdP) with
technical support from HST.

The views expressed in this forum do not necessarily
reflect those of HDN, FdP and HST.

Reproduction welcomed, provided source and forum email
address is quoted as follows: Copyright GENDER-AIDS
2002 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]