> And, exactly what file(s) do you get from UCSC?  I can find some for
> various organisms (goldenPath/[org]/bigZips/[org].quals.fa.gz), but hg18,
> hg19, mm8, and mm9 are not among them.

UCSC doesn't host quality scores for hg18/hg19 since the sequence quality of
these assemblies is very high. Perhaps its the same case with mm8/mm9 as
well (please check with UCSC). Also, if you're unable to find quality scores
of any specific genomes, please write to UCSC mailing list requesting the
same.