Ok, I don't know what happened with this...I reinstalled from scratch and i seems to be working now. I suspect perhaps because I started galaxy a few times before migrating to mysql. This time, I deleted everything, changed the config settings then started galaxy.

I'm now on to testing my cluster integration...so, I'm following this:

https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/wiki/ISMB2010_GalaxyTutorial_3_RunningYourOwn

as my initial test. When I run the get flanks, I see the job get started on the cluster and errors out with the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/tools/new_operations/get_flanks.py", line 16, in ?
    from galaxy.tools.util.galaxyops import *
File "/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/tools/__init__.py", line 15, in ?
    from galaxy import util, jobs, model
  File "/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/jobs/__init__.py", line 4, in ?
    from galaxy import util, model
File "/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/model/__init__.py", line 11, in ?
    import galaxy.datatypes.registry
File "/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/datatypes/registry.py", line 6, in ? import data, tabular, interval, images, sequence, qualityscore, genetics, xml, coverage, tracks, chrominfo, binary, assembly, ngsindex File "/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/datatypes/data.py", line 7, in ?
    import metadata
File "/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/datatypes/metadata.py", line 5, in ?
    from galaxy.web import form_builder
  File "/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/web/__init__.py", line 5, in ?
from framework import expose, json, json_pretty, require_login, require_admin, url_for, error, form, FormBuilder, expose_api File "/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/web/framework/__init__.py", line 18, in ?
    import helpers
File "/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/web/framework/helpers/__init__.py", line 29 return (content if len(content) <= length else content[:length].rsplit(' ', 1)[0]+suffix)
                     ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

If I submit the job script from the shell, the job runs, but when the web interface submits the job it doesn't. In both cases, its the galaxy user account so I don't think environment variables are to blame.