On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Dannon Baker <dannonba...@me.com> wrote:
> Peter-
>
> Just a quick response to your first question-  you might want to give
> the workflow parameters feature a shot to see if it does what you're
> looking to do.  Within the workflow editor, instead of setting a value to
> 'specify at runtime', use a variable tag in the format ${yourvariablename}.
> This variable can be reused in as many steps as you want in the
> workflow, and can also be used in the Rename Dataset action if you
> wanted to tag datasets by the parameter used.  See the example from
> the January news brief for screenshots
> (https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/wiki/Features/DevNewsBrief/2011_01_31).
>
> -Dannon

Great - that seems to solve the core task I wanted to do :)

I would say this isn't very intuitive or obvious... but once you know
how it can be done it is pretty easy. Maybe some tooltip text would
help?

I'm also wondering about adding "Workflow Parameters" to the
workflow menu (next to Edit Attributes, Layout, Save, Close),
or simply adding them to the Workflow Attributes editor? That
would  also give somewhere to add a text caption to the new
workflow parameter (the second part of my query).

(I'm sure you have some ideas in house too)

Thanks!