On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Leandro Hermida
> <soft...@leandrohermida.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a tool with a <code file="my_script.py"/> tag and in that code
> file
> > I'm trying to get the tool dirpath where that script and the tool XML
> > exist.  I've tried:
> >
> > os.path.abspath(os.path.dirname(sys.argv[0]))
> > os.path.abspath(os.path.dirname(__file__))
> >
> > And both don't work as expected. Is there a galaxy class I could import
> > which will have the tool directory path?
> >
> > regards,
> > Leandro
>
> For standard Python tools in Galaxy, I'm using
> os.path.split(sys.argv[0])[0]
> to get the path, which on reflection probably should be written as
> os.path.dirname(sys.argv[0]) as you suggest.
>
> What do __file__ and sys.argv[0] give you? The simplest way to debug
> this is to add a print statement, since Galaxy will show the stdout.

Hi Peter,

__file__ throws an error: global name '__file__' is not defined
os.path.abspath(os.path.dirname(sys.argv[0])) gives me
/path/to/galaxy/scripts directory which is two levels up from what the tool
directory I want for example /path/to/galaxy/tools/mytool

Isn't there some Galaxy class I can import? I remember seeing in other code
files "import galaxy" and would this have somewhere in it the current tool
directory?

-Leandro