We'd like to be able to associate fixed things (project, Sample, sequencer
used) with user's FASTQ files, and we'd also like to allow users to associate
dynamic, site-specific stuff with the sequencing run. Currently, users track
their runs using a CSV sample sheet, and often they add columns to that sample
sheet for their own information.

Is it possible to associate that information with the FASTQ file when it is
placed in Galaxy? I know about metadata, but the supported fields look like
they are fixed in the code. I was hoping for a solution where the users do not
need to modify the Galaxy code to pull this off.

John Duddy
Sr. Staff Software Engineer
Illumina, Inc.
9885 Towne Centre Drive