Peter,
if you were just interested in having a dynamic refresh.... it was posted long
time ago and we have it operational. It comes as a tool in your tool list and
refreshes all from the tool_conf.xml. Not the loc filtes though! As far as i
remember it doesn't kill running jobs.
It requires two lines of code in galaxy source and the addition of a tool to
the tools section.
I pasted it from my archive below. But it is quite self explanatory.
Alex

Galaxy source adapt for tool refresh