I've been getting these errors sometimes lately, particularly when the
cluster is heavily loaded.  The jobs have completed successfully, as I can
see the output if I click the pen icon, but the job is in a failed state.

Have any other sites been experiencing this problem?
Or can the galaxy developers help shed some light on the issue?

FYI, I use the outputs_to_working_directory option in universe_wsgi.ini so
that i can use a faster/more reliable filesystem to collect output from the
cluster.  I'm not using the recently discussed patch to run jobs as the unix
user.

I'll continue to experiment with different filesystems and software
settings.