On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 4:44 PM, David Matthews
<d.a.matth...@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
> We are getting ready to run a local setup of Galaxy here at bristol
> university on our HPC cluster, BlueCrystal. We have got a mini test setup
> running fine and now we want to install it properly on the main cluster and
> have the galaxy instance run in the queue along with all the other HOC jobs
> that are submitted to BlueCrystal from around the university.
> The guy doing the install has just sent me this message:
>

> When I add the following line:
>
> database_connection = postgres://galaxy:@web1.acrc.bris.ac.uk/galaxy

> universe_wsgi.ini
>
> Galaxy fails to start with the following error message:
>
> snip ----------------------
> galaxy.model.migrate.check DEBUG 2011-09-16 15:00:47,385 psycopg2 egg
> successfully loaded for postgres dialect
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File
> "/gpfs/cluster/isys/galaxy/Galaxy/galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/web/buildapp.py",
> line 82, in app_factory
>    app = UniverseApplication( global_conf = global_conf, **kwargs )
>  File "/gpfs/cluster/isys/galaxy/Galaxy/galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/app.py", line
> 33, in __init__
>    create_or_verify_database( db_url, kwargs.get( 'global_conf', {} ).get(
> '__file__', None ), self.config.database_engine_options )
>  File
> "/gpfs/cluster/isys/galaxy/Galaxy/galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/model/migrate/check.py",
> line 105, in create_or_verify_database
>    % ( db_schema.version, migrate_repository.versions.latest, config_arg ) )
> Exception: Your database has version '76' but this code expects version
> '81'.  Please backup your database and then migrate the schema by running
> 'sh manage_db.sh upgrade'.
>
> postgres on the web server is 8.4 so it should be fine. It looks like python
> is reporting the wrong version number.

That isn't reporting the postgres version number, but the Galaxy schema number.

> Any help from the developers would be much appreciated.

The error message tells you what to do,

sh manage_db.sh upgrade

> Do you know what the problem is he is seeing? Would he be better off
> emailing you directly?

This is normal when you update the Galaxy code - every so often
the Galaxy team make changes to the database tables, e.g. to add
new columns to record user disk quotas.