Ann Black wrote:
> Hello -
>
> I am working on standing up our own galaxy installation.  We would like to
> have galaxy front multiple clusters, and I have some questions I was hoping
> someone could help with.
>
> 1)  From reading other forum posts on this subject, it seems I need to
> minimally do the following ... is this correct?:
>        A) have galaxy server w/ sge register as a job submitting host to the
> head node of each cluster
>        B) Configure multiple tool runners for each tool per remote cluster?
>
> 2) When galaxy would submit a job, how would a backend remote cluster be
> selected?  When running workflows, would the same cluster be used to run the
> entire workflow - or could the workflow then span remote clusters?
>
> 3) I am trying to understand some of the source code, where is the logic that
> would then dispatch the job and select a job runner to use?
>
> 4) Other advice or steps needed in order to get galaxy to front multiple
> remote clusters?

Hi Ann,

This is all split per tool, there is no way to have a tool run on more
than one.  We're hoping to expand our cluster loading support within the
next year, however.

The method for setting the cluster options for a tool can be found at
the bottom of the cluster wiki page:

    http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Config/Performance/Cluster

With SGE this could be a bit tricky as the SGE cell to use is pulled
from the environment.  It might be possible to make copies of the drmaa
runner (lib/galaxy/jobs/runners/drmaa.py) and set SGE_ROOT as the runner
starts up, but changing it as each runner starts may break runners which
have already started, so this would need some testing.

--nate