Oren,

The best way to do this would be to use galaxy data libraries, uploading files
from file system paths and not copying the files into the Galaxy file location.

The following provides all of the details about data libraries:

http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Data%20Libraries/Libraries

The following provides specific details about the various options for uploading
files to data libraries.

http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Data%20Libraries/Uploading%20Library%20Files

Let us know if you encounter any issues.

Greg Von Kuster

On Oct 27, 2011, at 4:31 PM, Oren Livne wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> We have a large collection of large data files on our shared file system. We
> would like to make a subset of them available to a galaxy user session (based
> on user privileges; different subsets for different users). We want to leave
> files in their original locations and point galaxy to their paths without
> copying them.  What is the best option for implementing this bridge? Remote
> data source/data library uploaded on the fly/other?
>
> Thanks,
> Oren
>
> http://lists.bx.psu.edu/

Greg Von Kuster