Apologies in advance for the newbie question.

I have a script that uses various UniProt web services. The script
sends off a request to the UniProt server, waits for it to be
returned, and then writes the results to a file. This works fine as a
standalone script, but when plugged into Galaxy, I get this error:

⇝ KeyError: 'GALAXY_URL'

Does Galaxy "intervene" in the operation of all tools that access
outside web services, and if so, do I need to rewrite the tool as one
that acts as a data source (like the UCSC browser, biomart, etc.)? The
data sources documentation did not mention whether this was necessary
or not.

Thanks!

--
Amelia Ireland
Scientific Curator, Gene Ontology project