On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Nate Coraor <n...@bx.psu.edu> wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2011, at 1:09 PM, Bicak, Mesude wrote:
>
>> Dear Galaxy Developers,
>>
>> We work in Professor Dawn Field's group (Molecular Evolution and
>> Bioinformatics Research Group) at the NERC Environmental Bioinformatics
>> Centre (NEBC) of the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (CEH) Research
>> Institute based in Oxford.
>>
>> We develop and distribute Bio-Linux
>> (http://nebc.nerc.ac.uk/tools/bio-linux), which is a customised Ubuntu
>> distribution that comes with 500+ bioinformatics packages. Within our
>> research group we also provide bioinformatics analysis for NERC-funded
>> researchers, and recently started looking into Galaxy as well. It didn't
>> take us long to discover its power and we would like to enable Bio-Linux
>> users to install, run and maintain the Galaxy server with minimal effort,
>> also with the aim to spread the word on Galaxy in Europe!
>>
>> Recently we took on a project with Dr. Casey Bergman from University of
>> Manchester as the Principal Investigator, to package all the necessary
>> Galaxy dependencies for Ubuntu/Bio-Linux. As many pre-requisities are
>> already included with Bio-Linux, we are already some way down this path. New
>> packages that we create will appear in a Launchpad PPA
>> (https://launchpad.net/~nebc/+archive/galaxy).
>>
>> We will be happy to hear any comments regarding these efforts and we hope
>> that this will be a useful resource for all Galaxy users. Once the initial
>> packaging is done, we hope to collaborate with Galaxy team in maintaining
>> and improving this resource.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Tim, Soon and Mesude
>
> Hi Mesude,
>
> This is fantastic, thanks for letting us know, and please do post up if there
> is anything we can help with.  Also, if you're not aware, Galaxy's cloud
> offering is built on CloudBioLinux, which itself is built on Bio-Linux.
>
> --nate

This is very good news, I'm personally a big fan of avoiding as much
as possible installing from source on production systems, as things
can get easily out of hand when trying to keep everything updated.

Mesude, I recently joined Debian Med
(http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/ and
https://launchpad.net/~debian-med) which the exact same goal of
getting as much tools as possible packaged for Debian/Ubuntu. I see
Tim Booth is an active member in Debian Med and I was wondering if
your group is planning to keep the development of these packages in
the git/svn repositories of Debian Med. I wouldn't want to duplicate
your efforts.

I like very much the use of PPAs while waiting for packages to be
officially included in Debian and trickle down to Ubuntu, process that
could be somehow slow at times. Just today I was able to upload
Tophat's package being developed at Debian Med to the PPA, I'm pretty
sure it needs more work, but you might be interested in taking a look.

Kind regards,
Carlos