Dear Galaxy Developers,

We work in Professor Dawn Field's group (Molecular Evolution and Bioinformatics
Research Group) at the NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre (NEBC) of the
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (CEH) Research Institute based in Oxford.

We develop and distribute Bio-Linux (http://nebc.nerc.ac.uk/tools/bio-linux),
which is a customised Ubuntu distribution that comes with 500+ bioinformatics
packages. Within our research group we also provide bioinformatics analysis for
NERC-funded researchers, and recently started looking into Galaxy as well. It
didn't take us long to discover its power and we would like to enable Bio-Linux
users to install, run and maintain the Galaxy server with minimal effort, also
with the aim to spread the word on Galaxy in Europe!

Recently we took on a project with Dr. Casey Bergman from University of
Manchester as the Principal Investigator, to package all the necessary Galaxy
dependencies for Ubuntu/Bio-Linux. As many pre-requisities are already included
with Bio-Linux, we are already some way down this path. New packages that we
create will appear in a Launchpad PPA
(https://launchpad.net/~nebc/+archive/galaxy).

We will be happy to hear any comments regarding these efforts and we hope that
this will be a useful resource for all Galaxy users. Once the initial packaging
is done, we hope to collaborate with Galaxy team in maintaining and improving
this resource.

Best wishes,
Tim, Soon and Mesude

--
Dr. Mesude Bicak <mbi...@ceh.ac.uk>
Bioinformatician & Bio-Linux Developer

NERC Biomolecular Analysis Facility (NBAF) <http://nbaf.nerc.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre (NEBC) <http://nebc.nerc.ac.uk>

Molecular Evolution and Bioinformatics Group
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology <http://ceh.ac.uk>
Maclean Building, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, Oxfordshire