Hi Jeremy,

sorry for bother you again. I do some tests and the problem seems
not in the semi-colons (the cheetah manual is not very clear in
this sense, I put them but it did not solve the problem), but in the <display> tag which is simply incorrect in that position, a call to a python script is needed instead. May you suggest me how to sketch a simple python script that prints in the central section of the galaxy
window a message like "you are not authorized to execute this tool" ?

In this way maintainers of local instances of Galaxy can change the <command> section of the xml tools they want to hide like this:

<command>
#if $__user_email__ == ""
not_auth.py
#else
data_source.py $output $__app__.config.output_size_limit
#end if
</command>

Cheers,
I.

Ivan,

<tool name="UCSC Main" id="ucsc_table_direct1" tool_type="data_source">
<description>table browser</description>
<command interpreter="python">
#if $__user_email__ == ""
<display>You are not authorized to use this tool</display>
#else
data_source.py $output $__app__.config.output_size_limit
#end if
</command>

... and I got the error below, which seems connected to
the cheetah syntax. Any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

As is tradition in python, you need to put semi-colons after
conditionals. E.g.