On Feb 16, 2012, at 4:47 AM, Peter Cock wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Dannon Baker <dannonba...@me.com> wrote:
>> Good luck, let me know how it goes, and again - contributions are certainly
>> welcome :)
>
> I think I found the first bug, method split in
> lib/galaxy/datatypes/sequence.py
> for class Sequence assumes four lines per sequence. This would make
> sense as the split method of the Fastq class (after grooming to remove
> any line wrapping) but is a very bad idea on most sequence file formats
> (e.g. FASTA).
>
> It looks like a little refactoring is needed, defining a Sequence split method
> which raises not implemented, and moving the current code to the Fastq
> class, then writing something similar but allowing multiple lines per record
> for the Fasta class.
>
> Does that sound reasonable? I'll do this on a new branch for review...
>
> Peter

Makes sense from my perspective; splits have to be defined based on data type.
It could be as low-level as defining a simple iterator per record, then a
wrapper that allows a specific chunk-size.  The split file creation could
almost be abstracted completely away into a common method.

As Peter implies, maybe a simple API for defining a split method would be all
that is needed.  Might also be useful on any merge step, 'cat'-like merges
won't work for every format but would be a suitable default.

chris