Hi Dan,

I think I need a little more advice - what is the role of the script
scripts/extract_dataset_part.py and the JSON files created
when splitting FASTQ files in lib/galaxy/datatypes/sequence.py,
and then used by the class' process_split_file method?

Why is there no JSON file created by the base data class in
lib/galaxy/datatypes/data.py and no method process_split_file?

Is the JSON thing part of a partial and unfinished rewrite of the
splitter code?

On the assumption that not all splitters bother with the JSON,
I am trying a little hack to scripts/extract_dataset_part.py to
abort silently if there is no JSON file:
https://bitbucket.org/peterjc/galaxy-central/changeset/ebe94a2c25c3

This seems to be working with my current attempt at a FASTA
splitter (not checked in yes, only partly implemented and tested).